For quite some time, I've been into basically DIY everything. I've wanted to work on revamping up furniture, but I wouldn't have room to store everything I want to do in my house. My friend, Andrea is in the process of moving into her new house and her and I think alike when it comes to decorating and fashion so I told her about going around different thrift shops and buying old and worn out furniture and fixing it up and how much money she would save by doing it. At first, I knew she was a bit skeptical about it all until I started showing her different DIY projects on YouTube and introduced her to Pinterest. Right after, she was on board. She was amazed at how easy you can turn an old thing into something very pretty and unique. The day after, she came to my house with an antique chair she found at a thrift shop and supplies and we began to fix up this chair and I decided to take pictures of it all to show you guys and give you a step by step "tutorial".



What we used:

  • Sander
  • Screwdriver
  • Staple gun
  • A pair of scissors
  • Box cutter
  • Metallic spray paint
  • Monochrome chevron printed fabric
  • Sewing kit
For your safety: If you plan on working on something like this and will be using power tools as we did, please wear safety goggles and a mask!



First, we started off by ripping off all fabric and taking off the seat with the scissors and a screwdriver



Then, we sanded off the chair. We didn't want to sand it too much because it would ruin the whole chair and we did not want that happening so we just sanded it enough where it took off most of the gloss.




We then spray painted it and let it sit outside to dry for about an hour and then added the top coat




For the seat, we took the board and cushion and wrapped it around with white fabric, measure it a cut off all the excess and began to staple it up. My staple gun stopped working on us although it had staples in it so we then took some nails and a hammer and it did the job. The white fabric was put on messily simply because we were just going to put the chevron fabric right over - we took a lot more time making sure this one was put on perfectly. I forgot to take picture of the other cushion we did, but that one was just the stuffing and fabric and we sewed it by hand.



      Once the chair was completely dry, we screwed back in the seat and nailed in the top cushion and this is what it looks like now! It's not the most perfect looking thing, but because this was our first time upholstering anything, we are very proud of the outcome and are very excited to work on other projects.


      Since Andrea is in the process of fixing up her house and I'm working on my room, we have a lot more diy projects coming and want to show you gals what we come up with! :-)




DIY Chair Upholstry

Posted on

26 November 2013

Category

Leave a Reply